Significant changes to the Security Industry Act 1997 and the Security Industry Regulation 2016 will commence on 1 June 2023.
Key changes include:
- merging of the current Unarmed Guard and Crowd Controller licence subclasses into a single Security Officer subclass
- creation of a new Cash-in-Transit Guard subclass
- amendments to the definition of crowd controller and inclusion of additional places where the activity occurs through a new relevant place definition
- increased penalties for certain offences to better reflect the comparative seriousness of each offence
- tightening of visa requirements for licensing purposes
- authority to publish details of licence revocations and offences against the Security Industry Act and regulations via the SLED website and Facebook page
- new offences for obstructing enforcement officers
- new provisions that prevent unsuitable persons being employed in prescribed work in the security industry
- authority for individuals who hold a Master licence to carry on class 2B (Security Seller) activities and remove the need to also hold a separate class 2B licence.